The popularity of eReaders has been rising in the last few years as people desire to read books and publications more conveniently. This simple electronic device resembles a tablet or smartphone and comes with an interface that resembles the traditional textbook. The reader is, therefore, able to read any kind of material as long as it is stored in the device’s memory or is accessible via the internet.
To help you choose a good item, we have listed down the 10 best eReaders in 2017. However, prior to looking at the different items, do you know why people choose eReaders over phones or tablets?
Advantages of an e-Reader over Phone or Tablet
Phones and tablets also allow the reader to read books and can also store many books. Nonetheless, eReaders are preferred over tablets or phones due to the following advantages:
- Extended Reading: The design of the eReaders is well-suited for extended reading. Unlike tablets and phones, this device is almost similar to a book and doesn’t cause any eye strain;
- Minimal glare: Phones and tablets normally cause glare and reflections which may interfere with reading or require a user to keep tilting the device. However, an eReader features an anti-glare screen for effective reading;
- Basic Design: eReader does not come with popup and adverts that cause disruptions or annoyance while reading. It is pretty basic just like the trusty book;
- Durable Battery: Due to its basic nature and minimal features, eReaders will last longer on a single charge. Reader will, therefore, read for longer time without needing to recharge the battery. However, the battery life may vary depends on brightness and wireless usage; and
- Affordability: Electronic readers are more affordable that most smartphone and tablets and are easy to use. They also last longer than phones and tablets.
Best eReaders in 2017
- 10. Barnes & Noble, NOOK GlowLight Plus eReader
- 9. Fire Tablet, 7″ Display
- 8. Kindle Oasis E-reader
- 7. Kindle Touch, 6″ E Ink Display
- 6. Kobo, Glo HD 6″ Digital eBook Reader
- 5. Certified Refurbished Kindle Voyage E-reader
- 4. Waterfi, Waterproofed eReader
- 3. Kindle Paperwhite E-reader, 6″ High-Resolution Display
- 2. Kindle Paperwhite, 6″ High Resolution Display
- 1. Fire Tablet, 7 Inch Display
10. Barnes & Noble, NOOK GlowLight Plus eReader
Barnes & Noble eReader has always been at the forefront of promoting a reading society. And to keep up with technological advancement, the firm is enabling readers to access ebooks via the NOOK GlowLight eReader.
This gadget offers very realistic textbook effect courtesy of the high 300ppi resolution, enhanced contrast and glare-free screen. The eReader is made using durable a strong aluminum and has a battery that can last for as many as 6 weeks. Dust and water won’t affect the device since it’s dust and waterproof.
9. Fire Tablet, 7″ Display
Featuring a fairly wide 7-inch display, this eReader allows you to easily read eBook at your convenience. It comes with the built-in 16GB memory that can store ton of books and publications.
The 1.3 GHz quad-core processor is super fast and allows for quick performance and downloading of material as well as starting. Also included is a microSD slot that supports up to 200 GB of expandable storage. Besides ebooks, you can also watch TV shows & movies, play games, and also play songs with this gadget. However, this tiny gadget gives only 7 hours of battery life.
8. Kindle Oasis E-reader
The Kindle Oasis is among the most reliable and portable eReaders in the market. The 6-inch display provides a perfect reading interface that works together with the high-resolution display of 300 ppi display. The ultra-thin gadget is ergonomically designed for easy use and carrying and is powered by a durable.
7. Kindle Touch, 6″ E Ink Display
The Kindle Touch eReader comes with a 6-inch display, 167 ppi (600 x 800) resolution and 16-level grayscale. It also uses revolutionary E Ink technology to provide clear text similar to physical books. The electronic ink screen uses lower power consumption than the LCD screen, which means it maintains the good battery life allowing you to read up to one or two months on a single charge.
The internal 4 GB memory can hold up to 3,000 books while the durable battery lasts for up to 6 weeks. The gadget is fairly light weighing approximately 8.7 ounces.
6. Kobo, Glo HD 6″ Digital eBook Reader
Reading ebooks is less of an issue with the Kobo Glo digital eReader. It comes with a high-definition 6-inch screen that delivers a book-like experience. With the resolution of 1448 x 1072 that delivers a clear and crisp reading experience.
It’s 4GB integrated memory can hold as many as 3, 000 ebooks while the E-Ink technology delivers crisp and clear text. Compared to other leading products, this eReader is quite light and compact.
5. Certified Refurbished Kindle Voyage E-reader
Delivering a resolution of up to 300ppi, the Kindle Voyager is twice as powerful as most eReaders in the market.
The certified refurbished unit’s interface resembles that of a high-quality textbook and comes with turn-PagePress that allows easy page turning without raising a finger. The anti-glare screen together with adaptive front light that deliver quality text and zero eye strain.
4. Waterfi, Waterproofed eReader
Reading books outdoors, indoors, in the shower or along the beach is easy with the Waterfi eReader. Moisture or water won’t affect this eReader since it is IPX8 compliant and is waterproof up to 210 feet.
It comes with a high resolution of 300ppi which is great for reading even in the dark. The built-in wifi allows you to download your favorite books within a minute. The simple looking device has a built-in storage of 4GB can hold up to 1,100 books and a battery that can last for up to 6 weeks. The eReader is designed for easy carry as with the compact design of only 0.3″ thick and weighing less than 8.7 ounces.
3. Kindle Paperwhite E-reader, 6″ High-Resolution Display
This 6-inch eReader is loved for its simple yet effective design that makes reading ebooks easy. It comes with a high resolution display that supports up to 300 ppi.
The good resolution together with the adjustable back light makes reading in the day or night easy. The built-in front light so that you can read comfortably for hours without eyestrain. Its dependable battery will last for 6 weeks before requiring a boost.
2. Kindle Paperwhite, 6″ High Resolution Display
The Kindle Paperwhite is among the lightest eReaders and is said to be 30% lighter than iPad mini, this makes handling it with one hand easy. The 6″ screen gives an exclusive Carta e-paper technology with the 212 ppi help for fully reading without eyestrain.
Like other highly-ranked gadgets, it also features a zero-glare screen, built-in light and Wi-Fi. The full charge of the battery needs 4 hours and can last for weeks.
1. Fire Tablet, 7 Inch Display
This tablet not only allows reading of ebooks, but can also watch movies and TV shows, play music 7 games, download and store apps.
It features a 7-inch IPS display, 1.3 GHz quad-core processor, and Wi-Fi. The internal memory is either 8GB and 16GB and it also includes a micro-SD slot that supports up to 200 GB of additional storage. It’s slim and light nature makes carrying easy whereas the glare-free screen reduces eye strain. This eReader is available in 4 different colors so that you can choose your favorite one.
Reading books is more convenient when using eReaders. Nonetheless, you should be aware that not all electronic readers will give you the best experience and this is why we decided to review these best eReaders in 2017.
The listed items have passed the test when it comes to simplicity, user-friendly interface, long-lasting battery, minimal glare, reliable memory, affordability and portable. Not only will you be able to read eBook anywhere and at any time but will enjoy a similar experience as if you are reading the traditional book.