Do you know that dust can dangerously affect human health? According to the Department of Health of Government of Western Australia, dust particles may cause health problems while most of the illnesses are closely related to the respiratory diseases such as eyes irritation; coughing; sneezing; hayfever and asthma attacks. Therefore, it is necessary to clean up the surrounding environment that we are living.
What is a Robot Vacuum?
Have you ever imagined a device that moves around your home vacuuming the carpet or another flooring without human intervention? Relying on Smart Sensor technology, robot vacuum or robot vac is able to vacuum on their own while avoiding obstacles. Sensors (infrared or laser-guided scanners) and built-in camera allow this device to move around, changing direction after encountering an obstacle and preventing it from toppling over around edges. They can also be programmed to operate at certain times and this will save us a plenty of times.
Either Robot Vac or Upright Vac?
Like many people, you love keeping your home or office spick and span. To help you decide which kind of vac you should own, here come the differences between the robot vac and upright vac. We have made the comparison between the robot and upright vac.
- Size: Robotic vacs are much smaller than upright vacuums. They resemble a closed large dish or bowl that goes around collecting dirt, fur and other debris. Upright vacuums are fairly large and normally reach the user’s waist. It consists of the suction unit, dirt storage compartment, hose and handle.
- Suction Capacity: Robot vacs have limited suction power compared to upright vacs. This is attributed to their small size and weaker motor. They are also powered by a built-in rechargeable battery that will run out of charge after a while. Upright vacuums on the other hand boast of high suction power thanks to the more powerful motor that is powered via the mains.
- Battery Life: Due to its fairly small size, robot vacs generally work for a limited time, but robot vacs will automatically return to its station for self-charging while the upright vacs can operate for a long time yet it needed to be charged by the user.
- Intelligence: Robotic vacs are smart devices that will clean the surrounding while you remain seated. It will also detect any obstacles and will avoid them. All you need is either using a remote control or programming it to operate at selected times. Upright vacuums are non-intelligent and require the operator pushing or pulling them around.
- Storage: Upright vacs come with a large bag for storing dirt, dust, fur, hair and other debris. Robotic vacs have limited storage and will get filled up quite fast. In fact, they are rarely used in demanding situations or very dirty environs due to their limited storage capacity.
Understanding what robot and upright vacs are as well as their differences are key to selecting the right product. While a robotic vacuum may save you the trouble of leaving your comfort zone and having to push and hoist it around, it may be a bit limited in large or very dirty surroundings. An upright vacuum may deliver adequate suction power and runs for a longer time but may be somewhat cumbersome and takes too much of your time. We believe that the above comparison between robot vac and upright vac will help you make a better choice.
In conclusion, the upright vacs are more heavy-duty compared to robot vacs. Firstly, they feature a powerful electric motor. Secondly, they come with a large storage bag. Third, they can work continuously for a long time and cover large surfaces. Robot vacs aren’t meant for heavy-duty applications because of their small nature, smaller motor suction, and faster-draining built-in battery.
How We Choose the Best
Portability, hands-free experience, easy programming and reducing prices are some reasons that are making people ditch the traditional vac for the robot vac. Below are the most critical aspects to look for when purchasing the robot vac.
- Noise: Some vacs will produce minimal noise despite their high reliability;
- Reliability: A good device offers adequate speed, works on different surfaces, and is also built from high-quality materials;
- Sensor: Basically, the robot vac will feature the smart sensor to help navigate their performance such as infrared sensors; object sensor; detection sensor…;
- Dust Capacity: Although robot vac comes in a fairly small capacity than the upright vac, you can still find a good robot vac with the big capacity;
- Brush Type: The types of brush in the vacuum determine how easy, quick and effective the device will be. Brush bar with the beaters, sweeper brush and turbo brush bars are the common types;
- Sefl-Charging: While standard vac requires being plugged into a power socket, advanced models will automatically return to the charging point/station when the battery is low;
- Cleaning Modes: For easy operation and scheduling, the robot vac allows for a variety of cleaning modes as for the LG Hom-Bot Square Robotic Vacuum that comes with 7 cleaning modes or set its cleaning area and working time; and
- Remote Control: The robot vac come with a remote control while some also work with the smartphone via apps.
Best Robot Vacuum Cleaner in 2017
- 10. RolliBot, RolliCute Robotic Vacuum
- 9. ILIFE, V5s Robot Vacuum Cleaner
- 8. LG, Hom-Bot Square Robotic Vacuum
- 7. bObsweep, Junior Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
- 6. ECOVACS, DEEBOT M82 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
- 5. Eufy, Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
- 4. ILIFE A6 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
- 3. EC Technology, Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
- 2. bObsweep, Classic Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
- 1. iRobot, Roomba 980 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
10. RolliBot, RolliCute Robotic Vacuum
The RolliCute robot vac from RolliBot is suitable for both soft and hard surfaces and uses 2 edge brushes to eliminate dust, dirt, pet fur and hair. With the simple design that allows us using only one button to turn it on without programming needed, the vac will automatically clean the floor up to 80 minutes.
It can easily penetrate in tight space courtesy of its 2.5-inch height. Its extra large detachable dustbin can accommodate lots of dust and debris while the dual air filters keep allergens, pollens, bacteria at bay.
9. ILIFE, V5s Robot Vacuum Cleaner
The ILIFE V5s robot vac is suitable for a range of floors including thin carpet, hardwood, and ceramic tile. Its powerful motor plus advanced technology will easily spot and pick dust, dirt, hair, fur and other debris.
With the advanced technology design, the V5s comes with 2 cleaning choices either for dry vacuuming or damp mopping (recommended for hard floor only). The slim design and obstacle detection technology allow it to clean in-between and around furniture without the fear of damaging your furniture or the vac itself. The silent device is absolutely convenient as it can run around 90-110 mins and will automatically dock and recharge without disturbing you.
8. LG, Hom-Bot Square Robotic Vacuum
Silently clean your home without pushing a vacuum cleaner untangling the cords by using the Hom-Bot square robotic vacuum from LG. Coming in a small and compact design, the Hom-Bot will penetrate under small spaces, between gaps, around countered corners with ease.
The longer side brushes will greatly clean any dust at the every single corner while the Dual Eye 2.0 mapping system detects your home layout for the complete clean. Hom-Bot is also featured a collision-safe digital bumper to avoid bumping into any household. It features 7 cleaning modes: zigzag, cell by cell, spiral, my space, turbo, smart turbo and repeat. The vac needs 3 hours for the full charge and can run for up to 100 minutes.
7. bObsweep, Junior Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
The bObsweep junior robotic vacuum will help you to get rid of the dust, hair and fur easily. The stylish robot vac cleans all type of the floors such as hardwood, tile, and carpet.
With a large 1-liter dustbin, you can be certain that this vacuum will effectively clean the floor. It features a display screen to show any trouble or performing checkup of the vac. Using the smart tech, the vac will automatically go backs to the charging station when the battery gets too low.
6. ECOVACS, DEEBOT M82 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Attractive and powerful are what this robotic vac is described. Meant for cleaning carpets and floors, the Ecovacs DEEBOT M82 robotic vacuum is what you need for convenience and peace-of-mind.
The innovative DM82 obtains the standard features such as object detection, stair safety technology, 5 cleaning modes, dual side brushes, automatic charging and daily scheduling. Advanced Anti-Drop Sensors allow the vac to clean around the stairs without any risk.
The powerful motor together with the main brush (for deep cleaning) easily collects dust while the optimized lithium battery allows it to run for about 150 minutes per charge. The DM82 vac will automatically return to the charging dock when the battery is low without causing you any trouble and inconvenience.
5. Eufy, Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Clicking a button is all it takes for this Eufy robotic vacuum to easily clean the home. The specially designed brushes (2 side brushes and a motorized rolling brush) clean the dust from the edge that normal vac can’t reach. The 3-point Cleaning system together with high suction will eliminate even the tiniest particles while the HEPA style filter combats allergens, pet dander and fur.
It features superior drop-sensing technology to avoid from falling and cliff sensor to stop the robotic vac from the stairs. The smart navigation system guides the robotic vac for the complete clean and also drives the robotic vac to the docking station when its battery is running low. The high-capacity lithium ion battery offers adequate power and lasts for 1.5 plus hours for powerful suction.
4. ILIFE A6 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Coated in jet black finished with the 2.8″ body covered by the tempered glass, the ILIFE A6 robotic vacuum is an elegant robotic vac that you should own.
This ILIFE A6 robotic vac features the advanced Gen 2 CyclonePower 3-stage cleaning system that will agitate, extract and suck dust, fur, hairs and other debris. The extra large RoadRover wheels allow the robotic vac to pass from room to room easily and stably.
The vacuum cleaner boasts of a reliable rechargeable battery that can last up to 160 minutes per charge. The robotic vac protects itself from other objects by blocking around itself of up to approximately 10 feet. The vac also equipped with a large dirt bin with ultra performance filter that prevents the filter from clogging to maintain powerful suction for a long time. Schedule your A6 vac to clean your home even you are not at home is just a piece of cake thanks to its smart schedule mode.
3. EC Technology, Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
The EC technology robot vac can be programmed to work while you are seated from a distance or in your absence. It comes with high suction and 3-stage cleaning mechanism for easy cleaning while emits minimal noise.
With the compact design of only 3.15″ height, the vac can go through any area that you can’t reach. The robotic vac provides 6 different cleaning modes: Free cleaning (focused on a straight line), Spiral cleaning, Sweeping along the wall, “Z” shape cleaning, Pentagonal cleaning and In-advance setting cleaning so that you can choose your preference cleaning mode.
Besides the Drop-Sensing Technology, it also features smart that self-charging that will return to the charging dock when the battery is low. The screen will display the error mode in case there is any error occurs.
2. bObsweep, Classic Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
Sleek, chic and smart are what this robotic vacuum represents. The bObi vac works greatly to vacuum, sweep and mop your floor with ease and produces less noise. This bObsweep vac is rated as among the most user and pet-friendly devices in the market.
The bObi vac features the advanced dirt detection sensor, which alerts the vac to focus on the cleaning area and to sweep along walls and corners using the Wall Track detection sensor. The advanced wireless technology allows you to control the vac’s cleaning schedule without trouble.
The long lasting battery life gives the cleaning up to 1 hour and 15 minutes per single charge and it will automatically navigate to the charging station when the battery falls below 15%.
1. iRobot, Roomba 980 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
As we all have known the great performance of Roomba 790 robotic vacuum, and here comes to the era of Roomba 980 robotic vacuum. The advanced iAdapt 2.0 Navigation together with Visual Localization allows the iRobot Roomba 980 to vacuum your home without you moving with it. With the special design of only 3.6″ height, the Roomba vac will go through and under your furniture with ease.
It has 3-Stage Cleaning System that uses a combination of agitation, brushing and suction. A spinning side brush is also equipped to clean wall edges and corners. The AeroForce Cleaning System featured in the Roomba 980 provides up to 10x the air power that will automatically increase the performance of the Gen 3 motor on carpet and rugs to clean up the hidden dust.
On a full charge, this unit can run for up to 120 minutes per charge and will return to the dock for recharging so that you’re always ready to clean. You also can set the times it should operate by using the iRobot HOME App via your smartphone.
All the above robot vacuum cleaners are excellent for cleaning different floors. They come in slim and compact design for working under or in-between tight spaces are powerful yet silent and also boast of a powerful rechargeable battery. The smart units will recharge themselves when the charge is low and most come with filters for dealing allergens, pollen and bacteria.