The days of a messy kitchen or using bulky or disposable (wax paper, tin foil, parchment paper) or bulky baking accessories are annoying, what you need is silicone baking mats. They come in a thin design that allows them to be placed flat and support easy spreading and rolling of dough, provide a non-stick surface, and can be re-used. Most will operate within a temperature range of between -40ºC/ to – 40ºF and 232ºC/450ºF and can be used in a wide range of application.
Silicone doesn’t get stained easily and can be cleaned quickly, it can be folded into smaller rolls for better storage. However, not all silicone mats will serve you right. In this review, we will show you how to select a good product and thereafter reveal the top 10 best silicone baking mats this year.
Why the silicone mat?
Because the silicone is perfectly flexible and keeps its shape. It will completely remain flat even after being rolled for storage. Other than that, you don’t need to use any buffer layer (oil, parchment paper, cooking spray…) since the silicone mat is nonstick.
Selecting a Good Silicone Baking Mat
- Size: The mats come in different sizes depending on the manufacturer. It’s paramount to first understand your cooking needs and the oven size as well. Common sizes include 8-1/2 x 11 inches, 11 x 17 inches, and 16 x 24 inches;
- Non-Toxic: To make it food-safe, it should not contain any toxic or harmful substances. It pays to go for 100% silicone types that contain no filler compounds or additives, no PFOA or BPA, and no dyes;
- Heat Resistance: The higher the resistance to heat, the more appropriate the mat is. The quality-made mat can withstand temperatures as high as 500°F which won’t curl, burn or get stained.
- No Odor: The mat should remain completely odorless and shouldn’t absorb the food smell during cooking;
- Cleaning: A good baking mat should be tolerant to oils, greases and won’t allow food to stick on. Additionally, it should be resistant to stains and can be cleaned easily;
- Re-usable: The baking mat can be used several times without its functionality and reliability suffering. Some types can last for a long time even under demanding situations such as a commercial kitchen; and
Things to consider for protecting the baking silicone mat:
- Do not cut on the silicone mat as it may destroy the upper layer of the material which used for heat distribution; and
- While the silicone mat is cut, the fiberglass may be stick to the food and may lead to health danger.
Best Silicone Baking Mats in 2017
- 10. Velesco, Silicone Baking Mat
- 9. Frazoni, Nonstick Silicone Baking Mat
- 8. Aprince, Silicone Baking Mat Set
- 7. Spark Sales, Silicone Baking Mat
- 6. Basic & Home, Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mats
- 5. Daixers, Silicone Baking Mats
- 4. Vremi, Silicne Baking Mat Set
- 3. Velesco, Silicone Baking Mat
- 2. Silchef, Silicone Baking Mat Set
- 1. KITZINI, Silicone Baking Mats
10. Velesco, Silicone Baking Mat
With this silicone mats by Velesco, you no longer have to use parchment paper, oil, grease, or cooking spray when baking.
It’s made using high-quality food-grade silicone with the large sheet measuring 15 x 23″. Able to tolerate temperatures as low as -40°F to as high as 480°F. The mat ensure for safety use as it obtains FDA-Approved and freezer-safe. Its key pros include easy cleaning, durable, Non-toxic, Eco-friendly, fully recyclable.
Product Dimensions: 23 x 15 x 0.1 inches
9. Frazoni, Nonstick Silicone Baking Mat
The Frazoni silicone mat is made using non-toxic and sturdy silicone material and can withstand from -40 to 480°F. This allows the items to cook well while ensuring its edges don’t melt or curl/roll.
The mat is safe for domestic and commercial uses and won’t be harmed by microwaves, ovens or freezers. Many consumers like the product due to good heat distribution, nonstick nature, and its decent size. However, this mat is highly recommended for cooling.
Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 11.6 x 0 inches
8. Aprince, Silicone Baking Mat Set
Available in a set of 2 half sheets, the Aprince silicone mats are made from professional food-grade silicone that is claimed to be reused up to 4000 times, which is very suitable for commercial use.
This cute pink baking mat is designed with the circle printed (cookies and macaron sizing) giving very convenient access. It comes with a temperature range of -40 to 530°F and is microwave, freezer, and oven safe. The nonstick mat is FDA Approved, Non-Toxic, BPA-Free, Eco-friendly and doesn’t have any odor ensuring your health safety.
Product Dimensions: 15.6 x 12 x 0.1 inches
7. Spark Sales, Silicone Baking Mat
The Spark Sales silicone mats come with two half sheets with a large and non-stick surface that will bake food items without the need to use baking spray, and parchment paper. However; its large size may bother people with small ovens.
It features a firm and thick surface for easy rolling and kneading of dough. The safety of the mat isn’t in doubt considering it has been approved by the FDA, SGS and LFGB.
Product Dimensions: 13 x 2 x 2 inches
6. Basic & Home, Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mats
Basic & Home offers the non-stick baking mat that will fit in half-sheet size pans. It’s made out of food-safe silicone that contains no BPA or PFA and has been a certified by NSF, FDA and Kosher.
The mat can be reused for as many as 2000 times within temperatures of between -40 to 230°C. It features the special design allows for easy placement (Circles) and food measurement (Rulers). Its strong points include easy to clean, user-friendly, time-saving. However, its downside is that it may leave some gaps in the full sheet pans.
Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 11.8 x 0.2 inches
5. Daixers, Silicone Baking Mats
The Daixers silicone baking mat set contains one large mat (23.62 x 15.74 inches) and one small one (11.41 x 10.23 inches). It’s made from high-grade silicone and can tolerate temperatures of between -40 deg C to 230°C.
The nonstick surface provides good heat distribution and doesn’t require oil or baking spray. To prevent unnecessary movement, the mat remains in place courtesy of the nonslip base. Consumers love this mat set because it doesn’t get stained, no odor, folded and cleaned easily.
Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 2.2 x 1.3 inches
4. Vremi, Silicne Baking Mat Set
The Vremi silicone baking mat set comes in 3 different sizes, all made from safe and non-toxic silicone. Two mats are fit for half-sheet pans while the other fits in a quarter sheets pan.
The flexible material is easy to use and won’t lose shape even after many uses. Cleaning is done within a single wipe. However, these nonstick mats aren’t very sturdy for cutting on and are a bit small for the full sheet pan.
Product Dimensions: 12.8 x 2.5 x 2.4 inches
3. Velesco, Silicone Baking Mat
The 2 half sheet silicone mats from Velesco come with a fairly thick material that is fit for the standard oven.
It is FDA-approved to be food-safe and doesn’t contain any toxic substances such as BPA or PFOA. The recommended heat range is 40°F to 480°F. The mat sets are large, easy to wash yet may leave some spaces all round when used with large baking sheets.
Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 11.6 x 0.1 inches
2. Silchef, Silicone Baking Mat Set
The Silchef 3-pack silicone baking mats are loved for their simplicity, reliability, safety and eco-friendliness. The set consists of 2 half-sheet and 1 quarter-sheet mats and has been approved by the FDA and LFGB to be free of BPA, PFOA and other toxic compounds.
They are made from tough but flexible silicone and are coated with fiberglass mesh. Cleaning the pieces is easily done with a clean cloth and soapy water, or with a dishwasher. The mat can be used for Oven, Dishwasher, Microwave & Freezer.
Product Dimensions: 16.3 x 13.5 x 1.6 inches
1. KITZINI, Silicone Baking Mats
Baking in a healthier manner is certain with this silicone mats by KITZINI. Made from high-quality silicone, this accessory ensures to prevent from sticky.
The FDA has also approved then to be food-safe and nontoxic. The baking mat can withstand the temperature from -40 to 400°F. The only issue is that they are a bit small for the full-size baking sheet.
Product Dimensions: 16.5 x 0.8 x 11.6 inches
A notable observation is all the above-mentioned mats share lots of similarities that make it hard to know which the ultimate mat is. For instance, they all are easy to clean, non-toxic, and resist heat as high as 480°F. Furthermore, they are manufactured from high-grade silicone, that won’t curl at the edges, don’t easily get stained and come in decent sizes.
We believe that your baking experience will be better with the right silicone mat. Have you ever used any of these products, or do you have anything to add?