According to research, carrying your baby close to you not only keeps him/her feel warm, but also boosts the biological bond. It has also been proven that most toddlers prefer being carried on the back while infants like being held from the chest. Whichever the position, a good baby carrier will make it easy and comfortable for you and your baby.
Types of Baby Carriers
Baby carriers come in all manner of sizes, designs, shapes, colors and have become more effective, comfortable and safer than earlier types. Generally, they are classified into the following categories:
- Sling: Looks like a sash or single piece of fabric or sash that passes over your shoulder and forms a pouch that secures your baby from the front or hip section;
- Wrap: Resembles a long fabric that goes round you and your baby.
- Soft-Structured Carrier: Looks like a backpack that is secured to the main front carrier using padded straps and buckles;
- Mei-Tai: A hybrid of a soft-structured carrier and a wrap that uses four straps to secure the baby in different positions; and
- Baby Backpack: Looks like a backpack that consists of the metal frame and helps you carry your baby on your back.
How to Choose a Good Baby Carrier
When compiling this review on the 10 best baby carriers in 2018, we focused on the most critical issues which are as follows:
- Baby’s Safety: The baby has to be properly secured and will not fall, get chocked by the straps, or squashed by the harnesses;
- Baby’s Comfort: The infant or toddler shouldn’t feel too restricted and should move freely yet firmly secured;
- Harnessing Ease: The listed items come in a simple design and are easy to use and support the babies, head, neck and body;
- Parent’s/Guardian’s Comfort: The wearer will not feel bogged down by the weight, size or bulkiness of the carrier or strained by the straps or buckles;
- Ergonomics: The carrier supports the baby from the right position and won’t interfere with the backbone, neck, hips or other body regions;
- Health: The material is safe for the baby and user and doesn’t contain harmful substances.
Best Baby Carriers in 2018
For your baby safety, we have selected the 10 best baby carriers so that you can consider and choose the right product.
- 10. Infantino, Flip Front 2 Back Carrier
- 9. CuddleBug, 4-in-1 Soft Baby Carrier
- 8. Baby Tula, Ergonomic Carrier
- 7. LILLEbaby, 360° Ergonomic Baby & Child Carrier
- 6. Ergobaby, Four Position 360 Baby Carrier
- 5. BABYBJORN, Baby Carrier
- 4. Baby K’tan, ORIGINAL Baby Carrier
- 3. Moby Wrap, 100% Cotton Baby Carrier
- 2. BABYBJORN, Baby Carrier
- 1. Infantino, Flip Advanced 4-in-1 Convertible Carrier
10. Infantino, Flip Front 2 Back Carrier
The Baby carrier by Infantino allows you to carry your baby while facing you, with his/her back on your chest or from the back courtesy of the 3 carrying positions. It’s constructed using a breathable and flexible mesh that boosts ventilation.
The extra padded straps plus adjustable lumbar enhance you and your baby’s comfort while the included bib protects your clothes and the carrier. The maximum weight limit for the carrier is 32 pounds.
9. CuddleBug, 4-in-1 Soft Baby Carrier
The baby carrier by CuddleBug comes in Wrap form and can support baby’s weighing from 2 to 35 pounds. It’s made out of French Terry cotton which is strong and comfortable while the Spandex is stretchy.
The 4-in-1 baby wrap is available in different colors and is extremely soft and comfort in both hot and cold weather. This carrier is not recommended for carrying from the back.
8. Baby Tula, Ergonomic Carrier
The Urbanista baby carrier by Baby Tula is revered for its excellent ergonomic that keep both the parent and baby safe and comfortable.
The M-position seating position supports and protects the c spine, head, neck, shoulders and other body parts and is suitable for carried infants and toddlers from the front or back and can support 15 to 45 pounds.
7. LILLEbaby, 360° Ergonomic Baby & Child Carrier
The baby carrier by LILLEbaby offers 6 positions (Front-Toddler, Front-Infant, Front-Fetal, Front Facing Out, Back and Hip) and needs no insert for newborns. It is made from strong, soft and comfortable 100% cotton plus 3D mesh. The all-season 360-degree baby carrier is suitable for newborns to toddlers weighing not less than 7 pounds and not more than 45 pounds.
For maximum comfort and support, it comes with strong and wide waist belt and 3-inch wide padded shoulder straps. It is also featured are Signature Lumbar Support, Zippered Pocket, Sleeping Hood, Neck Support, and 2-way Shoulder Straps. The carrier is BPA-Free, Lead-Free, Phthalate Free, and Latex Free carrier, hence it is totally safe for the baby.
6. Ergobaby, Four Position 360 Baby Carrier
The 360 Baby Carrier by Ergobaby offers four sitting positions for babies and is suitable for weights starting from 7 up to 33 pounds. It is ergonomically-designed and supports postures such as frog-leg, spine in C position, seated position, folded knees and comes with an insert for infants.
The cotton-made carrier is well padded for maximum comfort for baby and parent and is also easy to clean.
5. BABYBJORN, Baby Carrier
BabyBjorn baby carrier is made from 100% cotton that is strong and comfortable. It’s designed to carry babies facing either inwards or outwards from your chest and is ideal for both male and female infants and toddlers.
Since it is designed by pediatricians, it comes with excellent ergonomics that boost the safety and comfort for you and your baby. In addition to being BPA-free, Lead-free and Phthalate-free, the carrier is also Latex free.
4. Baby K’tan, ORIGINAL Baby Carrier
Baby K’tan baby carrier comes in X-Small size and is black in color and is suitable for newborns and toddlers. It’s made using 100% breathable cotton that ensures there is proper circulation of air and minimizes unnecessary heat or sweating.
The minimum recommended weight is 8 pounds while 35 pounds is the recommended maximum. It comes with patented double-loop design that makes changing positions as well as wearing simple and easy.
3. Moby Wrap, 100% Cotton Baby Carrier
The baby carrier by Moby Wrap is a made from 100% cotton and can support weights ranging from 8 to 35 pounds. The wide fabric passes through the shoulder and back, hence it is properly distributing the baby’s weight.
The fabric is quite warm and comfortable and can easily be adjusted without removing it or the baby. It contains no Phthalate, no BPA, no Lead and no Latex.
2. BABYBJORN, Baby Carrier
The original baby carrier by BabyBjorn comes in black/pinstripe design and is made from 100% cotton. Suited for both genders, the item carries between 8 and 25 pounds and comes with two seating positions (facing in and facing out).
Courtesy of its perfect design, no insert is needed and is also safe for users since it contained no Lead, no BPA ,no Latex and no Phthalate.
1. Infantino, Flip Advanced 4-in-1 Convertible Carrier
Baby carrier by Infantino is designed for infants and toddlers weighing between 8 and 32 pound /5 to 20kgs. The light grey machine washable product comes with a Flip advanced 4-in-1 design that provides 4 seating options (facing-in for newborns, facing-in for mature babies, facing out with head control and back carrying).
It comes with a 2-in 1 bib, leg openings, adjustable seat, waist belt and straps.
The above products meet the highest criterion for baby comfort and safety. They come in highly-effective design, are easy to strap or secure, are made from healthy and easy to clean materials and are comfortable to the wearer as well as the baby.
Additionally, they are very versatile and can be worn by infants or toddlers of different ages, can be strapped from different angles and at different places and support the various weights. Ensure you and your baby are close to each other yet safe and comfortable by identifying the baby carriers that we have mentioned.