Using dumbbell has proven to one of the most effective ways of exercising either at home or at the gym for both beginners as well as professionals. They are versatile and can be used for a range of exercises, come in portable and easy-to-hold design.
Key aspects of the dumbbells:
– Weight: It’s advisable to go for the right weight and you may need to involve an expert or trainer. Very light weight is ineffective while a too heavy dumbbell may cause harm;
– Strength: It’s vital to know your strength as this influences the ideal weight;
– Experience: Beginners normally start with low weights while experienced individuals can effectively lift heavier dumbbells;
– Gender: Some dumbbells are more suited for men while are others for women. They will vary in design since the hands of women and men are different and also weight (men usually have a more upper strength and will begin with 10-20-pound weights while women start with 5-10 pounds;
– Area of use: Metal dumbbells are more likely to damage the flooring compared to those covered with rubber. Install the foam tiles to protect your floor from scratching and noise.
Best Dumbbell Sets 2016
With so many types of dumbbell sets being offered, it is a challenge to find the perfect match and this is why we embarked on a review of the best dumbbell sets in 2020.
10. SPRI, Deluxe Vinyl Dumbbells
Made from high-grade vinyl, the deluxe dumbbells by SPRI is a good option for aerobics, body toning, walking, step exercises and more. It comes with a non-slip vinyl that feels smooth and firm on hands, but exerts the right pressure to burn the calories, boost the heart rate, strengthen the muscles and more.
The various weights and colors allow you to customize the workout according to your desires.
9. AmazonBasics, Dumbbell Set with Stand
The dumbbell by AmazonBasics weighs 20 pounds and is suitable for both indoor and outdoor usage. Designed for men and women, the set consists of three pairs that weigh 2, 3 and 5 pounds and also include an easy-to-assemble stand for easy storing.
The iron weights are coated by neoprene that is protective and also gives them the stylish and trendy appeal.
8. Fitness Republic, Neoprene Dumbbell Pairs
The Fitness Republic dumbbells are suitable for both men and women and are made from cast iron that is quite strong. To ensure they offer a firm grip and minimal chances of slippage they come covered with Neoprene and are ideal for the gym and home.
You can use them for aerobics, bodybuilding, lightweight lifting, heavier lifting, strengthening muscles, etc. This dumbbell set doesn’t come with the stand.
7. j/fit, Dumbbell Weight Sets with Stand
j/fit dumbbell consists of a solid steel center core that is covered by a double layer of Neoprene. It is available in assorted colors and comes in different weight set.
For easy and safe storage, it also features a storage rack while the non-slip handles provide a firm grip.
6. Body Solid, Dumbbell Rack with Rubber Dumbbells
The Body Solid dumbbell set is made following patent-pending secure dumbbell technique that press-fits, pins and welds steel inserts inside the one-piece cast iron heads. This gives them strength, durability and versatility.
The rack consists of three shelves that can accommodate the full set. In addition to being coated with rubber which minimizes damage to the surfaces, a PVC mat (48 x 36 inches) is also included.
5. PowerBlock, Sport 24 Piece Dumbbell Set
There are several reasons why the dumbbell set by Power Block features in the 10 best dumbbell sets review. First, it is very versatile and can be used for many workouts. Second, It is designed for both male and female sportsmen and offers a firm grip thanks to the contoured and non-slip handle. Third, it comes with 3-pound increments and starts from 3 lbs up to 24 pounds.
Another worth mentioned feature is the selector pins makes changing the weights much easier yet safer. Lastly, in addition to providing a firm grip, the rubberized handle limits sweating and is also smooth to the hands/fingers.
4. Unipack, Adjustable Dumbbells
The adjustable dumbbells by Unipack are made from top-quality cast iron and offer a total weight of 105 pounds. The set comprises of chrome handles, eight 5-lbs plates, two 5-lb Collars, two 2.5-pound plates and two 1.25-pound plates. The handles feature threaded ends for a firm and secure.
The incremental weight is 2.5 lbs and the maximum weight for each dumbbell is 52 pounds. With this easy-use dumbbell, no special tool is needed for adjustment.
3. Tone Fitness, Hourglass Shaped Dumbbell Set
The dumbbell set by Tone Fitness comes in a shape of an hourglass and weighs 20 pounds. It is constructed from metal that has been coated with neoprene to provide a smooth, soft and less-damaging surface.
The set consists of 3 dumbbell pairs weighing 2, 3 and 5 pounds and is also suitable for travel. They are rather suitable for the beginners than the professional.
2. CAP Barbell, Adjustable Dumbbell Set with Case
CAP Barbell brand is renowned for producing top-of-the-range dumbbells and dumbbell sets. Currently, they are offering a 40-pound adjustable set that comes with 2 handles, a case, 4 (2.5-lb plates), 4 (5-lb plates), and 4 collars.
The cast iron dumbbells feature a semi-gloss finish while the collars come with rubber trim for an ergonomic grip.
1. Bowflex, SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
552 adjustable dumbbells by Bowflex take the top position on our review. It is solidly constructed and designed for both men and women, the set minimal weight is 5 pounds while the maximum is 52 pounds.
It comes in 2.5-pound increments up to 25-pound and relies on unique dial system to combine as many as 15 weights into one. Beginners may, however, find the set a bit bulky at the start.
The review mainly centered on the key aspects that have been mentioned above. This was aimed at finding the best product the first time. The dumbbells are suitable for a variety of exercises.