Smoker is a cooking equipment using low temperatures in a controlled, usually for several hours. It uses a wide variety of fuels, including electricity, natural gas, charcoal, and propane. Charcoal and wood pellet -powered smoker, although a bit smoky, are known for retaining the authentic taste and aroma. Electric powered types on the hand are liked for their simplicity, cleanliness, easy operation but many they lack the genuine flavor.
The market is full of all kinds of products that different in design, size, fuel type, and capacity. Below features show you what you should look up for a good smoker.
Which Smoker is the Best?
Finding the best smokers isn’t easy. However, by focusing on these features you stand a higher chance of owning a top product.
- Size: Select a product depending on the available space. Yes, it may be on offer but a very large and bulky unit in a small space will cause inconveniences.
- Need at hand: Will you mostly use it for family meals or will be having the entire football team over? The more the number of people the larger the smoker. Normally, a small type will conveniently cater for up to 20 people.
- Versatility: A good smoker serves as smoker and grills and can be used indoors and outdoors. This stops you from having to own several pieces and also improves convenience.
- Efficiency: You ought to choose a product that has the best energy efficiency. It will produce maximum heating and smoking while keeping the energy/fuel consumption low.
- Cleanliness: It’s important to go for smokers that don’t produce lots of smoke or soot. This helps to preserve the natural taste, aroma and keeping the food clean and hygienic.
- Portability: You will have to move the smoker at some point and it’s better to choose types that are easy to move. They come in a portable design that features a handle and casters/wheels.
Wood Chip Tip
- Hickory chips are mild and pair well with most meats.
- Apple wood pairs well with chicken and pork.
- Mesquite has a stronger smoke flavor and is the perfect pairing for beef. When smoking fish, Alder is a good choice.
Best Smokers in 2018
- 10. Bradley, Digital 4-Rack Smoker
- 9. Masterbuilt, 20073716 Portable Electric Smoker
- 8. Oster, CKSTROSMK18 Smoker Roaster Oven
- 7. Smoke Hollow, 30164G Propane Gas Smoker
- 6. Masterbuilt, 20078715 Electric Digital Smoker
- 5. Char-Broil, The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker
- 4. Traeger, Grills Texas Elite 34 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
- 3. Z GRILLS, Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
- 2. Masterbuilt, 20071117 Digital Electric Smoker
- 1. Z-grills, Wood Pellet BBQ Grill and Smoker
10. Bradley, Digital 4-Rack Smoker
If you want well-smoked food items that still have the authentic taste, then this Bradley smoker is perfect choice. The digital smoker measures 17(L) x 14 (W) x 31(H) inches and can handle a good size of food.
It’s constructed from high-quality materials for the best service and durability and comes in a simple design for easy operation. The 4 racks smoker can accommodate a variety of meats. The temperature can go up to 320 degrees Fahrenheit and is easy to moderate courtesy of the digital control.
Temperature range: up to 320°F
Product Dimensions: 14 x 14 x 31 inches
9. Masterbuilt, 20073716 Portable Electric Smoker
Smoking food is better with this portable electric smoker from Masterbuilt. It’s made of a strong material for using regularly and has a decent capacity to suit families and a small group of people.
It features a 1,400-watt heating element and a simple control for high, medium, and low settings. The two chrome-plated racks provide a nice holding point whereas the easy-to-read temperature gauge is conveniently placed on the door. For easy storage and movement, the smoker’s legs can be folded easily. Consumers like the nice capacity, folding legs, easy-to-read gauge, and sturdy construction.
Temperature range: N/A
Product Dimensions: 23.42 x 23.62 x 15.94 inches
8. Oster, CKSTROSMK18 Smoker Roaster Oven
Coming with a 16-Quart capacity, this smoker roaster oven from Oster is suitable for small and large families and also for a small group of people. It runs on wood chips and can be used both indoors as well as outdoors.
The smoker is made of tough metal to tolerate regular applications and has an easy-to-clean and removal enamel-on-still pan. It will roast, grill, bake and braise turkey, chicken, burgers, and muffins. And thanks to the even heat distribution, you don’t need to worry about some items overcooking or even burning while others are a bit raw. Its main advantages are good heat destitutions, easy to use, simple to clean, and supports a range of cooking methods. The disadvantage is that this smoker isn’t very big.
Temperature range: 150°F to 450°F
Product Dimensions: 17.7 x 24 x 9.8 inches
7. Smoke Hollow, 30164G Propane Gas Smoker
This cabinet-style smoker from Smoke Hollow will make a perfect addition to your home. The propane gas powered unit can be used indoors and outdoors and comprises of stainless steel tube burner with a heat rating of up to 10,000 BTU’s.
This makes it ideal for different foods including meat, poultry, fish, burgers, and veggies. The three chrome-plated grids are very hygienic, easy to clean, and can be removed. The temperature gauge is conveniently placed on the door whereas the cool-touch handle protects you from the heat. Good design, even heat distribution, simple ignition, and nice quality are its main advantages. The only concern is the small woodchips box.
Temperature range: N/A
Product Dimensions: 21 x 19 x 39 inches
6. Masterbuilt, 20078715 Electric Digital Smoker
Coming in black, this electric smoker is perfect for the home, tailgating, camping, and many other places. The 30-inch accessory doesn’t take up too much space and is portable. It has a cooking pace of 721 square-inches and is powered by an 800-watt electric heating elements.
Courtesy of the 100-275 degrees Fahrenheit temperature range, it can handle different kinds of needs and food. And for easy cleaning, it features a redesigned front-access drip pan. It’s a top choice because it maintains accurate digital temperature control monitor, which is easy to operate. The spacious smoker can be hold up to 12 Whole Chickens.
Temperature range: 100°F to 275°F
Product Dimensions: 32.13 x 16.93 x 19.69 inches
5. Char-Broil, The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker
Smoking, grilling, roasting, and barbecuing will no longer be a challenge when using this TRU-Infrared smoker from Charbroil. It’s very popular on the market and achieves temperatures as high as 18, 000BTU’s.
The Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared grill limits the hot air flow and uses natural, radiant heat to cook food directly without drying. The quality temperature control provides for easy and convenient control for the best cooking results. It relies on superior TRU-infrared technology the evenly distributes the heat while locking in the taste, nutrients, moisture, and aroma. The 180 square-inch cooking surface can handle up to 25 pounds of food. It’s a good choice because of the good heat distribution, accurate temperature control, and easy to use.
Temperature range: N/A
Product Dimensions: 24 x 18 x 36 inches
4. Traeger, Grills Texas Elite 34 Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker
With this smoker, you will be able to smoke, grill, roast, bake, BBQ, braise and much more. It has a cooking surface of 646 square inches, which is good enough for most applications whether at home or outdoors. The fairly large unit uses wood pellets for preserving the natural taste and aroma while ensuring there is no smoke or soot. It features a built on Digital Elite Controller for maintaining the right temperature and comes in high, medium, and low setting. The key reasons people love it are its accurate temperature, good grilling capacity, versatile design, and durability. The main downside is that it’s a little heavy.
Temperature range: N/A
Product Dimensions: 22 x 54 x 49 inches
3. Z GRILLS, Wood Pellet Grill & Smoker
This stainless steel electric smoker from Masterbuilt has a cooking surface of 700-square inches and can accommodate a good amount of food. The 30-inch unit features 800-watt heating element and will grill, barbecue, roast and much more.
The chrome-plated racks offer a nice holding point and are resistant to rust and corrosion and this keeps the food clean and hygienic. For improved viewing, the smoker has a window whereas the RF controller regulates the temperature. Main pros are easy to use, good capacity, nice quality, and good heat distribution.
Temperature range: 180°F to 475°F
Product Dimensions: 48.4 x 22.5 x 51.2 inches
2. Masterbuilt, 20071117 Digital Electric Smoker
This Masterbuilt electric smoker is not only good-looking but also very practical. The 30-inch accessory is suited for most uses at home and can accommodate small, medium, and large food quantities. It’s powered by wood chips and features the patented design that allows you to add the chips without opening the door.
The fully insulated body improves heat retention and this conserves energy and lowers the cost of operation. Being digital, you are assured of accurate temperature control.Users love its high quality, effective design, easy wood chip loading mechanism, and minimal smoke.
Temperature range: 180ºF to 450ºF
Product Dimensions: 33.27 x 20.47 x 19.88 inches
1. Z-grills, Wood Pellet BBQ Grill and Smoker
Coming with a 700square-inch cooking surface, this nice-looking smoker can accommodate up to 20 pounds of food. The solid-unit is made of tough steel to tolerate everyday use and features Digital Controls for improved temperature control. The 180-450degeee F heating range suits many food types including beef, poultry, fish, burgers, and vegetables. Other than smoking, it also roasts, barbecues, braises grills, sears, bakes and much more. It is well built, feels solid, works fast, is easy to use, and durable. Unfortunately, it doesn’t feature a meat probe in the controller.
Temperature range: 180°F to 475°F
Product Dimensions: N/A
What may be your favorite item may not be another parson’s “cup of tea.” Choosing the best smoker can be a daunting exercise even for experienced users. First-of-all, you have to go through hundreds of products. Secondly, you need to ascertain your current and future needs. Thirdly, you should think about your current space. Fourthly, it is necessary to preserve the taste and aroma while keeping the food clean. Fifthly, you don’t need the place to be engulfed in smoke, do you?
Factoring all this while searching for a smoker is a bit of a challenge. You can, fortunately, save yourself the stress and inconvenience by following this review. We have compared, analyzed, and picked the best smokers. Your smoking and grilling experience should, therefore, be satisfactory.