Just as the name hints, an upright vacuum cleaner is designed to be used while a person is standing. It comes with a long handle/arm, larger and bulkier than other types, and can handle lots of dirt, dust, pet hair and other debris.
Key features of a good vacuum cleaner
- Reach: A good vacuum cleaner will have a good reach, at least 8.6 meters. The longer the distance the easier it is to cover a large space;
- Weight: Light types are much easier to use and are also effective on the stairs since they can be carried easily;
- Noise: Top products though very powerful will emit minimal noise and this creates minimal interference or distraction;
- Suction: The best product has good suction force and will easily suck dirt, leaves, pet hair, pollen, dust and other debris;
- Versatile: A good upright cleaner comes with variable setting for different flooring/surfaces (carpet, hardwood, concrete, marble..etc);
- Wattage: High wattage doesn’t necessarily indicate the vacuum is very powerful. It’s possible to own a low wattage product that is still powerful and keeps the cost of power low.
Guide to take care the upright vacuum cleaner
- Don’t use it continuously for too long or exceed the recommended duration as this may lead to overheating;
- Some types come with a HEPA filter that can’t be washed, but required changing or tapping it to remove dust;
- Always ensure the cable doesn’t get entangled with other furniture;
- Ensure the cable isn’t frayed, broken or the contact isn’t exposed to avoid a short circuit;
- Avoid banging or dropping the vacuum cleaner too often.
Best Upright Vacuum Cleaners in 2020
Start cleaning with ease today with the below list of the best upright vacuum cleaners in 2020.
10. Dirt Devil, UD20015 Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The UD20015 upright vacuum cleaner by Dirt Devil is light and weighs 9 pounds.It features an 8-foot stretchy hose and has an 11-inch cleaning path that is adequate for most applications.
The Cyclonic filtration and HEPA media filtration techniques effectively get rid of dirt, dust, fur, pollen and other substances easily and fast.
9. Dirt Devil, Dynamite Plus Bagless Upright Vacuum
The M084650RED Dynamite is a bagless upright vacuum cleaner by Dirt Devil that is targeted for easy, quick and silent operation. It’s powered by a 7-amp motor that provides adequate suction for carpet, upholstery, furniture and other cleaning.
The 11-pound vacuum is light and can easily be carried up and downstairs while the HEPA filter safeguards the internal component.
8. Hoover, Lightweight Corded Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The UH20040 upright vacuum cleaner by Hoover comes with a 23-foot cord and has a maximum reach of 7 feet. It features a 3-postion adjustment and a 2-in-1 tool for versatility. The Multi-Cyclonic Technology separates the dirt particles before they reach the filter and this protects the internal components.
Other good features include Rinsable Filters, Fabulous Filtration, high-quality HEPA filter, System Check Indicator and No Loss of Suction Technology.
7. SharkNinja, Shark Rocket Ultra-Light Upright Vacuum
Shark Rocket HV302 is an ultra-light upright vacuum cleaner that only weighs about 8 pounds. Besides being one of the lightest, it is also among the most compact and maneuverable products.
Relying on the Never Lose Suction technology, it can be used to clean not only the floors, carpets and walls, but also the ceiling. The reliable swivel steering gives good control and stability.
6. Oreck Commercial, Upright Vacuum
The 8 Pound XL2100RHS upright vacuum cleaner by Oreck is suitable for both domestic and commercial applications. It weighs around 8.2 pounds and comes in Fill Bag design that ensures the power is optimal even after the bag is filled up.
The side edge brushes effectively clean along baseboards and corners while the Low Profile Design cleans under the furniture and in other tight spots. The need to squeeze the hand or twist the wrist is eliminated thank to the Helping Hand Handle.
5. BISSELL, PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum
PowerEdge 81L2A upright vacuum cleaner by BISELL features a 20-foot cord and will easily reach under the furniture, around the corners, on low pile areas and more.
The Swivel head gives you better maneuverability especially around objects and furniture while the V shape directs small debris towards the edges and the larger debris towards the centre of suction. It comes with an easy-to-empty cup and is mainly suitable for hard floor.
4. SharkNinja, Navigator Deluxe (NV42)
NV42 Deluxe upright vacuum cleaner from SharkNinja is very versatile and quite portable (15 pounds). It comes with a long power cord (25 feet) and doesn’t lose any suction courtesy of the advanced technology.
The swivel steering gives you full control while the large capacity dirt bag provides continuous cleaning with no need to empty it.
3. BISSELL, 9595A Vacuum with OnePass
Cleaning the carpet and other surfaces can be done quickly and efficiently using the 9595A upright cleaner by BISSELL. The corded cleaner comes with a powerful motor and relies on the Cyclonic System that provides good suction.
The Innovative brush design sucks in more dirt, dust and other debris compared to other models while the turbo brush is ideal for upholstery, furniture, stairs and other situations.
2. SharkNinja, NV356E Upright Vacuum Cleaner
NV356E Lift-Away by Shark Navigator is a professional upright vacuum cleaner that provides excellent suction and can be used on carpets, hardwood and concrete. It comes with a 30-foot long cord that is more than ideal for most applications while the HEPA filter keeps everything in order.
In Lift Away mode, it weighs 14.5 pounds while in normal state it’s about 14.5 pounds. Compared to most types, its much quieter, more maneuverable and has larger dirt storage.
1. Hoover, Lightweight Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Weighing at only 6.5 pounds and coming in bagless design, this upright vacuum cleaner by hover is suitable for both small and large courtesy of its 25-foot long cord.
It features a 5 position height adjustments for easy cleaning on hard floors, carpets and other surfaces and also includes an extension wand that increases the reach of the 8 foot hose, a crevice tool for cleaning crevices, cracks and grout line and an air powered hand tool for cleaning stair and furniture.
In the above review, focus was placed on portability, ease of use, suction power, noise level and wattage. All the above types have passed the test of reliability, longevity, efficiency and have been well-received by the public. In addition to being highly-rated they are also recommended by experts. All the products listed in the review guarantees you of clean surfaces while keeping the noise level low as well as peace-of-mind.