I am quite sceptical about online transactions and that’s why I always place my orders with a pinch of salt when purchasing a Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). Throughout my interaction with UPS devices, I have come across several crème de la crèmes and a plethora of so-so devices. In this review, I will knock off the cheap ones and only focus on those UPS devices which exhibit a stellar performance. I will also give you some tips on how to identify the flops and avoid them like a plague.
Table of Contents
Why need a UPS?
A sudden power goes out will lead to data loss, hardware damage and shorten the equipment life expectancy. It’s why UPS comes in handy. It allows for safe closure of open files and proper shut down of electronics when an outage occurs. Furthermore, it safeguards electronics from commonly occurring power surges caused by storms, activity on the power grid, or high-powered equipment turning on and off.
What is AVR?
Some UPS comes with Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR) as it can correct minor power fluctuations without switching to battery power, which extends battery life. AVR is essential in areas where power fluctuations occur frequently. It also helps stabilize incoming voltage, increase or reduce the voltage to a safe operating range.
Factors to consider before buying a UPS device:
Unless you want to take a dud home, you have to consider the following factors before placing an order for a UPS:
- Amount of equipment you want to connect to the UPS: You have to consider the number of equipment you intend to plug into the UPS. This will determine how many ports you’ll go for;
- The power needed: The amount of power needed will also determine which UPS is ideal for you. If you want to plug in a lot of devices, then you need to go for the UPS with high power ratings;
- The backup runtime: The backup runtime is also quite significant. Don’t go for a UPS which will go off after a minute or two; and
- The price: You remember the old adage “Cheap is expensive”? Well, you might have to dig deeper into your pockets if you want to have top quality.
Best UPS in 2023
5. APC, UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector
This is a 600VA/330W battery backed UPS from APC. With this kind of power capacity, this is a really great device for your daily power requirements. With seven total outlets, it features five outlets for providing surge protection and battery backup with the other two outlets being specially designed to offer protection against power surge only.
The single 1.5A USB port strategically positioned at the top of this unit provides convenient charging for your Smartphone even when there’s power outage. This UPS device operates in the sense that; when the power goes out, the APC battery backup is fitted with surge provides juice to ensure that your computer and other electronics including the router are fully functional. This means that you will still access the internet even when there’s an outage.
Some main features:
– Load Capacity: 600VA / 330W
– Outlets: 7
– Cord: 5 ft
– It can also supply power for external hard-drives.
– Offers adequate surge protection.
– Guarantees continuous power supply.
– It’s highly durable.
Last update on 2023-09-20 / Affiliate links / Price / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
data-amzn-asin=”B06ZYMDL9H”> Check price on Amazon